If you have been arrested for a DUI, you may assume that any attorney will be fit for the job of defending your case or helping negotiate a plea bargain. But, the reality is that the caliber of the attorney you hire can dramatically impact your DUI charges. From reduced sentences to dismissals and diversion programs, hiring the right DUI attorney is critical for your case and your freedom.
Reasons You Need to Hire a Skilled DUI Attorney
Not all attorneys specialize in DUIs or have adequate experience defending these types of cases. If you have been arrested for a DUI, the first call you should make is to an attorney that has years of experience handling DUIs specifically. Just some benefits to doing so include:
- They understand DUI laws in Florida better than you. You may assume that you can research DUI laws and represent yourself, but the reality is that an attorney is constantly studying both the laws and the changes to these laws. An attorney has invested years studying these issues, and understands the recent modifications. Their education and experience has prepared them better for negotiations and trial than you could ever do representing yourself.
- An attorney understands legal procedures. A DUI case will have a large volume of paperwork, legal procedures, court documents and strict deadlines. These items are time-consuming in themselves, but an attorney dedicates their time and has the extra staff to assist them with all of these miniscule tasks.
- Effective defense against DUI charges. DUI cases are extremely technical and require the expertise of a DUI attorney. Your blood alcohol content (BAC) levels may be used in court against you, but an attorney knows how to show whether the machine was calibrated and the overall inaccuracy of these types of chemical tests. The attorney also can look for potential weaknesses and help build a strong defense.
- Saving your driver’s license from suspension. In Florida, you not only face criminal penalties, but you could lose your license in an automatic DUI suspension. An attorney may be able to represent you during your hearing and help you retain your driving privileges.
- Lower penalties and fair plea deals. If the evidence is stacked against you, your attorney can still help negotiate for lower penalties and achieve fair plea deals with the prosecution. An attorney will guide you through the process, explain what is involved in your plea and the deal you are accepting, and ensure that the prosecution holds to their word.
- An attorney can help protect your criminal history. A DUI conviction can be devastating to your professional, social and financial life. By keeping your criminal history clean, you can live a normal life. An experienced criminal defense attorney can ensure your record stays clear, without convictions, or help you expunge or seal the record later.
Speak With a Jacksonville DUI Attorney Now – Contact The Law Office of Timothy Armstrong, P.A.
If you have been arrested for a DUI, do not leave your case in the hands of an inexperienced attorney or no attorney at all. Instead, exercise your constitutional right to legal representation and contact The Law Office of Timothy Armstrong, P.A. now. Contact us online or call 904-356-8618 to get started with a consultation.